Monday, 6 February 2017

Genius Hour Post 4


Welcome back!

My infographic on iron in the vegetarian diet is coming along; it’s a work in progress since I’m simultaneously learning how to use a tool called “Piktochart” while compiling my research and information! I’ve already been putting my learning into practice; over the weekend, I bulked up on my iron intake with stuffed peppers and a salad. I had black beans, quinoa, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and tomato sauce (all high in iron), and tomato, strawberries, and leafy greens (which all increase iron absorption); I hit most of the iron-rich foods featured in this graphic from "The Vegan Junction".

This week my focus shifts to vitamin B12 and omega 3’s. Stay tuned for how that works out. I can’t wait to see how the next step in my Genius Hour project influences my eating habits!

This experience has been positive so far; my Genius Hour topic is something that I am personally interested in, so doing the project doesn’t feel like the regular course work that I am used to. I would definitely consider implementing a Genius Hour project (or something similar) in my own classroom. I see it working best with older Junior students, or the Intermediate division, since they have developed their own interests and have basic research skills.

If I were to do Genius Hour again, or if I were to use it in a classroom, I would be sure to organize and implement a stricter timeline for the project to follow. Since this is the first time trying this project, planning out a five week schedule has been a little tricky, whether it be carving out specific times to work on the project, or pacing the research and learning at a good speed in order to stay on track. While the results are great (more knowledge and understanding and skills related to research and of course the Genius Hour topic!), some students might struggle with the open-ended nature of this project, so implementing a timeline or schedule would help those students stay on track and succeed.


via GIPHY


Until next time!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment